2013年1月7日星期一

Hello Color !

As soon as I landed my first job, I went out and bought the cutest new suit! It was a shiny gray suit with pink pinstripes, and I bought a bright pink shirt and matching pink heals to complement it. I couldn’t wait to wear to wear it. The day finally came when I was asked to attend an important meeting. I proudly suited up, strutted into the room, and….BAM! I immediately became uncomfortably aware of the fact I was the ONLY person NOT wearing a black suit – women included! Flushed pink with embarrassment (a perfect match to my shirt and shoe color), I shrunk into the first chair I could find and hoped that no one would notice me…although I’m sure I was hard to miss. Has that ever happened to you?
My immediate reaction was to run to the department store and redo my entire work wardrobe with all black outfits! After all, I wanted to be taken seriously as a professional, and how could I do that in hot pink clothes? After some serious thinking, I decided buying black outfits to feel like I fit in was a ridiculous idea. I also thought about how I could use my colorful wardrobe to my advantage. Here is what I learned:
#1 – Colors commanded attention – Eyes are naturally drawn towards bright colors. When you’re wearing a striking color amidst a sea of black and gray, you will automatically be noticed. Immediately, you have everyone’s attention. Use this attention to your advantage! Make new connections. Build relationships. Promote your business.

#2 – Colors promote femininity – Femininity is a powerful tool! Like it or not, men like working with women who have managed to retain their feminine qualities while also displaying strength. Likewise, women enjoy working with women they can relate to. Strength without femininity can actually compromise your ability to earn respect with your counterparts. Having a colorful wardrobe with pinks, reds, purples, polka-dots, floral prints, etc., helps evoke a sense of femininity and makes you appear more approachable. Try it, especially if your strong personality tends to be intimidating.

#3 – Colors create reaction – Did you know, the color you wear actually creates a psychological reaction in others? Know your colors and the reaction they create! This can help you land that job, succeed in negotiations, or secure that sale. Purple can make you appear approachable. Red can evoke power.  Emerald green creates a sense of strength. Consider dressing in color a strategy for success!
Here are some commanding color ideas for you to try!
Business Casual - Purple Business Casual - Red Business Casual - Green

没有评论:

发表评论